(This position is currently filled, however we are always looking for talent – please apply!)
Taylor & Pond is seeking an ambitious, multi-faceted web development intern who has hands-on experience with front-end HTML/CSS/JS, the Shopify and WordPress platforms, and works well in a fast-paced team environment. The ideal candidate is someone who not only has a solid foundation of core front-end and back-end programming skills, but also someone who has a passion for creating innovative, engaging web user experiences and has an eye for good design. If you strive to make your code as beautiful as the website designs themselves, we want you!
Multi-tasking, attention to detail, and an understanding of urgency is required, as our level of customer service is a key competitive advantage. This position will never be dull, and you may be working on the front-end and the back-end of a website on any given day.
The successful candidate will be a passionate, out-of-the-box thinker who strives for excellence and welcomes challenges of all forms. You will report directly to the Director of Technology and be a collaborative team member across all departments in the company. You will be expected to actively and regularly participate in brainstorm sessions and contribute to creative conceptualization/ideation to enhance brand strategy and brand value for our clients. You will execute your duties efficiently and successfully under the guidance of the Director of Technology and alongside the Web Development team according to client needs and those of the agency as a whole.
Your Day to Day:
- Regularly communicate with the Web Development team on the status of your projects, tasks, priorities, deadlines, and issues
- Develop responsive HTML and CSS that looks great on all devices, given designs
- Develop and update table-based HTML emails that look good on all devices, using cross-device testing
- Update existing website content, adding new types of templates, pages, and functionality
- Research and integrate third-party services, plugins, and apps that solve problems for our clients
- Troubleshoot and fix website issues, e.g. cross-browser styling issues or broken functionality
- Analyze user data via Google Analytics and other tools to make recommendations on optimizations
- Complete development tasks with an eye for design, requiring minimal rounds of QA revisions
- Familiar with Shopify (Liquid), WordPress (PHP), Git, JSON, REST APIs
- Exemplary communication, organization, and time management skills
- Comfortable using command line development tools
- Experience in writing semantic HTML that is optimized for both accessibility and SEO
- Experience developing cross-browser compatible, responsive websites optimized for screens/devices of all sizes (and able to reliably resolve cross-browser compatibility issues)
- Experience working with pre-built WordPress and/or Shopify templates and customizing them
- Experience using industry-standard tools and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Sketch, etc. and developing pixel-perfect implementations of design comps
- Impeccable attention to detail – every pixel matters!
- Creative thinking skills and a good eye for layout and design
- Ability to understand and adhere to creative brand guidelines for design
- Ability to understand, communicate, discuss, and adhere to technical requirements
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both in a team and individually, and take a proactive approach to your work
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills using outside the box thinking
- Strong conceptual and creative skills and ability to brainstorm individually and collaboratively
- Ability to manage working on several projects, teams, and manage client demands at once
- An entrepreneurial attitude and deep sense of ownership and pride in everything that you do
- Highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously while also knowing when to ask for help
Experience in the Following Preferred:
- Experience in Shopify, WordPress, WooCommerce
- Experience developing custom WordPress and/or Shopify themes from scratch
- Experience developing custom WordPress plugins or Shopify apps
- Experience with updating and configuring DNS, hosting, CDNs, etc.
- Experience coding HTML emails
- Strong knowledge and understanding of SEO principles
- Strong understanding of web accessibility requirements (ADA/WCAG 2.0)
- Experience with Google Analytics and ability to analyze and give suggestions on site optimization
- Familiar with implementing custom Google Analytics tracking events
- Familiar with web UX & UI best practices
About Taylor & Pond
Taylor & Pond is a 360 full-service digital agency located in the beautiful Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego. We are focused on the beauty industry and being the best agency in the world.
This is an in-house, paid internship at our office in the Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego. You must be 21+ and authorized to work in the United States. Tell us about yourself and why you think you are the perfect fit for our dynamic and exceptional team! Email careers (at) taylorpond.com with three reasons why you want to work at Taylor & Pond. Applications without a portfolio or link to work examples will not be considered.